Friday, November 19, 2010

Reflections of ourselves

There are 2 issues I want to mention.

One is being honest with yourself and one is tied to our self esteem. For some both issues are tied into our self esteem. For me I don't think this is the case. 

The first issue is some people are simply not photogenic. I certainly don't consider myself to be unattractive, but I don't take good photos. For some reasons I don't come out looking very well. I always wonder what a pro could do. I seriously don't believe this has to do with my self esteem. Just never get the look right. 

Now on the other hand, we are our own worst enemies. When I look at pictures of myself I do see the negatives. I am 65 lbs lighter, stronger and leaner than I have been in a long time. Why can't I see that? Why can't we see the good we have? I see the jiggly parts, the fat parts and every blemish. Why do I do that? 

Is it something we can work on? Can we look at the picture and say positive things. Can we turn off those voices in our head that have been there so long? I believe that we can change and grow always. No matter what age. Just like the unfortunate situation of verbal abuse, that can affect your mind. Maybe if we hear good things enough even from ourselves it can alter our thought process.

Am I fooling myself thinking these two issues aren't tied together? I still don't think so. Looking at pictures of different people, some are photogenic and some are not. It is hard to get people to be honest with you on this subject because it is a sticky place.  No one will say you are nice looking but not photogenic. They are on reality shows like that next top model show. They will say it! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment