Monday, November 22, 2010

Even now.....

"Even now, I swear I think of you and how I wished you knew."  One of my favorite songs from Barry Manilow. 

Got me to thinking about music and how much a part of my life it is. Songs can effect my mood or tap into how I am feeling. If you stop by my house on any given day, you can tell my mood by the music playing inside. Music can be very personal, one song can speak volumes to you but mean nothing to someone else. For instance, the song mentioned above, makes me think of lost loved ones. Particularly my sister whom I lost 21 yrs ago. I realize the song is about lost love. 

When Steve and I started dating in high school, we had our song. But actually we had our songs, we had about 10 songs that we loved and called our song. Anything from "key largo" to "two less lonely people". I remember as a teenager, I would lay in front of the stereo in the living room and just lose myself in all kinds of music.

Even now, I love to lose myself in music. There is nothing better than to get caught up in the music and the rhythm. For me it is a release. Whether I am exercising or out dancing or at a concert, there is something about losing yourself for a moment.

This certainly is a better way than with alcohol or any other crazy substance. 

I like all kinds of main stream music. Hardcore rock(with the screaming) and hardcore rap(with all the swearing), I don't care for. I am also not a fan of classical or opera. Furthermore I don't care for the Beatles, Beach boys or Taylor Swift. To much hype for me and not enough substance. I know I am weird, but like said music is very personal. If you like them good for you, I hope you enjoy whatever music moves you in heart, mind and body.

Music can spark memories, bring people together, promote a message(be it good or bad). There is nothing more frustrating than hearing a song with a phenomenal beat but terrible lyrics or message. It is unfortunate when an artist creates an awesome beat or rhythm but use the lyrics to be stupid.

There are some good pop with uplifting lyrics or great poetry. There is some great music out there in all genres and labels. Not to mention the independents and underground music. Mainstream radio is barely the tip of the iceberg. There are great classics from the all musicals times and eras. Latin music,country music and local bands are making great music. Find your passion and lose yourself. 


"It's only half past the point of no return
The tip of the iceberg, the sun before the burn
The thunder before lightning, the breath before the phrase
Have you ever felt this way?"
Pink's - Glitter in the air.

 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! Music is a beautiful gift from God. When you get a chance, check out "Starry Night" by Chris August. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete