Tuesday, April 14, 2015

"Are there boundaries you put on God's mercy?"

"Are there boundaries you put on God's mercy?"
Such a simple question asked by a simple priest during adoration on Sunday.

 It was one of those profound moments that brought me to tears. I felt like God was asking me directly and personally. With tears I reflected and prayed. What boundaries to I put between me and God, what walls, what places do I not allow His love and mercy.

All this stuff surfaced, all these worries and issues.  I took it all and placed it on the alter.

I took all my worries for my children, each face present in my mind, and gave them to Christ. 
I took all the dark corners of regret for that which I did or didn't do and laid them at Christ's feet. I took all those that hurt me, even the man who took my sisters life and gave them over. 

I prayed for each, as I laid it there. I prayed for better for those who hurt than what they have given this world. I prayed that Christ would touch their hearts, break their hearts of stone. That this world be filled with love, not hate, not sin. Love, forgiveness, grace, peace, this is the world I want to live in. 

I opened myself completely, or as complete as I can, to Christ's love and mercy. I let it flow over me like a waterfall. I will allow myself to be loved completely. I will allow my Lord to wash my feet. That intimacy, that service of love, that which we are so afraid of. We convince ourselves that we don't need anyone else. "We got this." Sometimes for me it is just afraid of really letting someone in, to really depend on someone else requires a letting go of self and pride. 

To truly be connected to someone, whether it be our spouse, whether it be God, is to truly trust them and allow them in. "Are there any boundaries you put on God's mercy?", "Are there any boundaries you put on other's love?" 

Can we truly open up to others? Can we truly open up to God? 

No comments:

Post a Comment