Monday, April 9, 2012

Hope everyone had a Blessed Easter.

I was having a conversation with my daughter the other day. She was asking how long we have lived in Ann Arbor. We were comparing how long I have lived in Ann Arbor versus Detroit.

In August I will be 46, I will also have lived in Ann Arbor for 23 years. Which is 23 years in both the D and A2. I feel blessed to have lived in 2 great cities in my life. Both have had impacts on who I am. Amanda stated that since the odds of me moving back to Detroit are non existent, that by next year I will have been in Ann Arbor longer. I told her who knows. Life has a way of throwing curve balls. Who knows what the future holds. I have no intention of moving now. I have no desire really to move back to Detroit.

This got me to thinking about the twists and turns of life. Playing the odds are tricky. Yes the odds are that I will live in Ann Arbor longer than the D. But the odds haven't always played out in my life. Given my childhood, I should be a single mom with a few kids. Or at the least on my 2nd or 3rd relationship, certainly not in a 27 year relationship.

Life is a journey. Most of times the visual to this is a walking path. I am more incline to think of a kayak ride. There are currents and things that move you along out of your control. Sometimes there is no current and the path is your choice. Sometimes the current is so strong, you have no choice. Sometimes you have more than forks in the road, more like multiple path choices that lead to more path choices.

As we choose one path multitudes of other open up. And we continue on always wondering what is around the corner. Sometimes we can see what's next. Sometimes we are blindsided by a curve or a blocked path. More choices, more decisions. We like to think we are always in control and most times we are. But sometimes the current takes. We are also at times distracted by those around us or events happening, that we don't even realize we are being moved along. There are those moments, at least for me, where I look around in amazement at where I am. Those moments of how in the heck did I get here?!

Will I ever move back to the city? I don't think so. But who knows.
If I end up moving somewhere completely different in August and live there another 23 years....... 69 years, 3 different places. That would be interesting.

But the odds are that I will be right here next August, talking about how I have lived in Ann Arbor longer than Detroit.

May your path be fun, interesting and driven by love. God Bless you all.

1 comment: