Thursday, October 13, 2011

ok so I have arthritis,  nothing new. I was told this in Sept 2009. But I was hoping today wouldn't show much progression and the doc would say it is the meniscus tear causing the pain. No such luck. Not only is it the arthritis but my knee is bowing in. That is not the technical term but that is what I say. So a brace for me when I work out, go for walks and  at work.  If the brace works to re align the knee, that makes me a good candidate for some other treatments. One is the injections of lubricant for the knee, the other two are surgeries. One surgery to clean out the knee othroscopically. The other is a very invasive intense surgery called knee realignment. Not really interested in that one. Not yet anyway.

Why am I telling you all this? Do I just love to talk about my medical conditions? not really, if that was the case there would of been numerous other blogs. 

I am telling you this because I am trying to be healthier. This will not deter me. The doc didn't put me on any restrictions. So I came home and worked out. Bad knee, bad foot(luckily those two are on different legs) and all. I know that the best thing for me and my knee is health. I need to keep moving and get more weight off. This will make things better in the long run. No medical doctor can do this for me. 

So as I was working out, I kept thinking about all the things I am fighting against. It motivates me. I am fighting arthritis, diabetes(which is devastating the latin community), osteoporosis, muscle loss, high blood pressure and just being able to stay mobile into the older years. 

There are ways to work out and not injure the bad knee. I have done physical therapy and I know this. I will do more physical therapy. Especially since I will be working out with the brace on. That should be fun, not!! 

I wish I could say I do strength training to get stronger. I hope I get stronger and maybe I will. But mostly I do strength training to fight muscle loss and the slowing of metabolism. It is very important for women to lift weights. I do low to mid weights with lots of repetitions. That gives me some strength training and cardio.  

Anyone reading this, no matter your age or shape. Start working out. Do it today. Go for a walk, go up and down the stairs a few times. If you don't have any ailments, then good for you. Strengthen your body to fight them. If you are younger, good you can start now and maybe make it easier on your body. I wish I would have gotten the weight off sooner. But I have no regrets really. It is what it is. 

If you have any ailments, I am sorry. I know how tough that can be. But don't give up. Eat Healthy and see what physical activities you can do and do them well and often!!!!

Good Health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment