Thursday, October 27, 2011

"Mean people suck" I find this bumper sticker a bit hypocritical. I do get the point they are trying to make. 

Has our society become meaner, colder? Are we quicker to turn on each other? 

A couple of years ago, while at work, I was watching the protests regarding immigration reform in SW Detroit. My mom and sister were at the protest, along with many other folks I know. As I watched the news coverage, the lady sitting next to me said "Look at all those people, they make me so mad. I wish I had a machine gun". I was shocked. I told her that my family was in that protest. Really a machine gun! She apologized. But I still remember that story and the feeling of hatred she had for the protesters. 

In the summer of 2010, we were visiting Mt Rushmore. My family and I were listening to the ranger talk about past presidents. She was asking the audience where certain presidents were from. She started with older ones to more current. When she got to President Obama, the ranger asked "Where is he from?" Some of those in the crowd began saying "we don't know yet", "maybe Kenya" and "who knows". I was again shocked. Really! What was the point. The kids there were having fun guessing where the presidents  were born. It was very disappointing.

I know you probably have seen these same types of things happening. Why?

At a memorial for a young man who took his own life, someone yells out "he is better off dead"! How sad for the family. To feel that kind of hatred. I truly am at a loss when I hear these things. I don't understand why. How someone could say such hateful things.

Our society has gotten very cold. For an audience to applaud the death penalty, shows a deep sense of callousness. To yell out "let him die" when discussing a cancer patient or boo a soldier sharing something very heart wrenching and personal, I don't understand.  

All of these are tied together. They feed off each other. We start losing any sense of caring for others. We start saying things we shouldn't. 

Regardless of your position or view point. Bullying, name calling and rudeness are unnecessary. I too have gotten caught up in passionate discussions and said some things I shouldn't have. Never our of sheer hatred. I truly am perplexed at the anger some people have and where they direct it. Scary! 

We have become very selfish. Give me what is mine! We forget to love and respect our fellow man.

1 comment: