Saturday, June 14, 2014

Holy Spirit

For those who question....
For those who doubt....
For those who wonder.....
For those who seek.....

Who is Jesus? Did he really exist? Is what we know the truth?
These are the hard questions. I have struggled to answer them and have never found an accurate way. Jesus has always been at work in my life. What I have discovered is; I can't answer these questions for someone else they have to answer them for themselves. 

Paul says in 1st Corinthians Ch 12 verse 3.  
'Therefore, I tell you that nobody speaking by the spirit of God says, “Jesus be accursed.” And no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the holy Spirit.'

As I reflect on this verse and recall the story of Pentecost in John ch. 20, verse 19-23, I realize the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity, is the key. It is with the guidance of the Holy Spirit that we know Jesus. The Holy Spirit guided the apostles from their sanctuary and led them to proclaim Christ to the world. This was birthday of the Christian church, this was before the Bible was canonized, this was the beginning.

If no one can say "Jesus is Lord" except by the Holy Spirit. Then we need to let the Holy Spirit guide us to Jesus. How do we do this? The easiest way is by asking for the intercession of the Holy Spirit in our lives through prayer.  We have to find a way to cherish and encourage some silence in our lives. It is difficult and challenging to hear God if we fill our lives with noise. For example, I am sitting in Church and a beautiful young family is sitting behind me. As with most young children they are noisy. That is who they are and it's really no big deal. But as I was listening to the readings, it was challenging to focus on what was being said and not on the rustling of children. This is a great analogy for our lives. If we are always focused on the noise of the life around us, then we can't hear. 

Furthermore, we need to ask the Holy Spirit to come into our lives. I understand if you don't know if you believe in the Holy Spirit, why would you ask it anything? I would contend, what have you got to lose? If there is nothing there then nothing will happen, if there is something there then you will know.
Some call this Pascal's wager, in its simplest form. 

Holy Spirit prayers range from short to long. When or how you pray is personal and varied. One of my favorite prayers "Come Holy Spirit", simple and to the point. 
A longer version; 
Come Holy Spirit, open my mind and my heart.
Enlighten me, apply your Word to my life and use it to transform me.
Make me a good listener.
Draw me closer to You my God.
Amen.

There are many others. A prayer is a personal thing and you could make up your own words. The key is to take a quiet moment and ask the Holy Spirit to come into your life. Whether that moment be a minute or 10 minutes. Start there, see what happens. If nothing, then you go on with your life and never look back. If something, then you go on with your life with a new perspective.


ps. this is a even longer version.
Come, Holy Spirit, fill my heart with your holy gifts. 
Let my weakness be penetrated with your strength this very day that I may fulfill the duties of my state in life conscientiously, that I may do what is right and just. 
Let my charity be such as to offend no one and hurt no one's feelings; so generous as to pardon sincerely any wrong done to me. 
Assist me in all the trials of life, enlighten me in my ignorance, advise me in my doubts, strengthen my weakness, help me in all needs and embarrassment, protect me in temptations and console me in all afflictions. 
Graciously hear me, O Holy Spirit, and pour your light into my heart, my soul and my mind. 
Assist me to live a holy life and to grow in goodness and grace.  Amen 





No comments:

Post a Comment