Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The great doc Oz

E coli! On my toothbrush! Are you kidding me? I was watching Dr. Oz on Good Morning America. I find him to be a bit of the alarmist. I think he wants to shock us into behaving. Dr. Oz and Robin Roberts were discussing how often to replace your toothbrush. The wise doc says replace every 3 months. His reasoning, e coli or fecal particles get on your toothbrush over time. Mostly because of the toilet flushing, which sprays particles into the air. A few things bother me about this line of reasoning. One, how many particles build up? How much is too much? For me, one particle of fecal matter is too much. It seems to make more sense to put a cap on your toothbrush, keep your toothbrush in the medicine cabinet and close the toilet lid when flushing. Maybe do all of the above. Why not stop the particles from getting there in the first place. Two, does everything else in the bathroom end up with e coli contamination.  What about the door knob? The towels? Hand towels? I know you wash these things probably more than your toothbrush and they aren't being used in your mouth! But still. Can you imagine what the OCD and germaphobes are doing now?! Then I'm listening to the radio and the announcer says "you have to watch dr Oz today." She continues, "what your kids are drinking may be detrimental to their health. Don't miss today's Dr Oz!" Really isn't that the old joke about newscasters. "something in your house may be killing your family! Tune in at 11 to find out" 

1 comment:

  1. Alarmists get viewers. Then they can $ell more commercial time.

    ReplyDelete