Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I grew up on welfare. I grew up using food stamps and eating focus hope food. I still don't like King Vitamin cereal.  

It really bothers me when people say disparaging things about the welfare system. My mother, a single mom, never gave up trying. She was also trying to go back to work or back to school. Is she or her kids lazy? Absolutely not. We all work hard and try to improve our lives. 

I remember being treated like scum. In Detroit there were unfortunately a lot of folks on welfare, so I had a lot of friends also struggling. But there was still something embarrassing about using food stamps. We all knew that being on welfare made us somewhat unworthy. 

I am grateful for the New Deal. I don't think it damaged our country. It saved families like mine. There were times when I was hungry as a child. Thankfully not very often and not for very long. I would rather live in a country where people have access to assistance, then having kids go hungry. And we do have kids in this country going hungry. Everyone that gets help is one small victory. 

Are there people who take advantage of the system? Yes! Should there be rules and regulations to control that? Yes!  But I would rather one lowlife get through if it means more families could be helped. 

If those families that are struggling live in a environment with substandard schools and an overworked police system, the hope for improving their lives is more challenging. I want our government involved, I want serious action. I am willing to distribute the wealth, to give government more control. For me a balanced approach is necessary. More money from the government to help families get on their feet, more job training, and education opportunities. But I also like the idea of Emergency Financial Managers coming in and getting schools and cities back on track. If handled appropriately a balanced approach can make the difference. 

Take the billions of dollars in government subsidies that big oil companies get, while they make billions in profits, and put half of that in a system to offer education and job training to displaced workers and those receiving welfare. Big business likes unemployment, it keeps wages down if you have more looking for jobs. They are not interested in helping and having low unemployment. 

I see and hear things like "those people" drain our system. "They" need to get a job. How dare "they" have a cell phone, television, or nice clothes. If you live on welfare you should look and act like the substandard person you are. You should walk around in a potato sack with your head held down. You are not allowed one shred of dignity or anything nice. If this is how someone is supposed to feel, How are they ever supposed to feel worthy of a better life? 

We need to treat people with dignity, love and respect. Instead of assuming and judging, try to understand where that person is coming from, and how you or I could help improve their life. Yes we are our brothers keeper's. The success of Detroit is vital to the success of Ann Arbor and all of Michigan. The success of our fellow americans is vital to all of our success.

No comments:

Post a Comment